Season kicks off on April 6, 2019
Our First Kicks & Fun Football grades are for players aged 5 to 8 years old (age they turn during the season)
First Kicks 5th & 6th grade (5 and 6 year olds).
- Training Saturday 8.30 – 9am
- Games 9 – 9.25am all on the top fields.
Fun Football 7th grade.
- Training Tuesday night 4.30 – 5.45pm
- Game Saturday 8.30 – 9am.
Fun Football 8th grade
- Training Thursday night 4.30 – 5.45pm
- Game Saturday 9.10 – 9.50am.
It is our policy not to grade these teams and instead focus on skill development and enjoyment of each child’s first football experience.
Games in the school holidays
There is NO PLAY at Easter weekend and in the “middle weekend” of the school holidays.
If it’s raining
Birkenhead United makes the decision to cancel the First Kicks & Fun Football grades and it is posted on the homepage of our club Facebook page at 7:30am. Each coach is also rung so you should get a phone call before you leave home for the park. In some cases the Council may close Shepherds Park on Friday, in this case you are normally rung on Friday night. If all of these events don’t happen you can assume the game is still on.
How to best support your child and their team
The best way to help your child is to
- be positive, encourage them to do their very best
- have them attend practices and be on time
- plenty of warm clothing (gloves on small cold hands for the early morning starts save a lot of tears)
- plastic rubbish bags to sit muddy children on in your car on the way home
- a drink for half time and after the game
Coaching or Managing a Team
Birkenhead United has been going through a sustained period of growth over the last few years. The biggest strain that this puts on us is in the area of finding enough coaches or managers and once we have done that, ensuring that they are adequately prepared. Some of our coaches/managers are parents who may never have played soccer before. To support these dedicated volunteers, we do and will continue to run, both in-house and external coaching courses. Our Director of Coaching, Paul Hobson is available to support and resource coaches. If you are a parent or past player who has flirted with the idea of coaching a team – please give it a try!
What does the club provide?
- Minimum 1-hour coaching/week
- Playing shirts
- Weekly player awards
- Team photos
- End of season prizegiving
- Family membership of BUAFC
- Coach training and support
What do you need to bring?
- Shin pads
- Football boots
Playing Fees for BUAFC Midgets are $205 (Fees include Club Shorts and Socks, GST & levies charged by New Zealand Football and Northern Football Federation)